My Wabash Days

By ANH LE 

It was the first time that I stepped foot on the tiny, beautiful campus with nice red-brick building and green grass-field running along the way. My first impression was strongly positive and all I had in mind was the fact that this would be where I belong to in the next 4 years of my life.

The international orientation lasted about 4 or 5 days. I had to go through a variety of processes like taking ID photo, setting up bank account, befriending all international students and most significantly, exploring Crawfordsville and Wabash as a new comer. For the whole morning, I and Tiaren- one of my new chinese mate- explored the Lily library, Allen center and the fine art center. We went down the media center which is right under the basement and met some staff members there. I was surprised and filled with a sense of warmth by how both I and Tiaren were welcomed by them, given that we were here for 2 days and those were the very first people we met on campus. My feeling at that time was that Wabash had a fantastic campus where people say "hi" to strangers and students are always willing to help one another. I couldn’t ever forget how Mr Clapp and Saidel greeted me from the airport and how Krist, Long Cao and some people whose name I have yet to remember enthusiastically helped me to unpack and bring stuffs to my dorm room. Yes! My first impression about Wabash was nothing more than positive. During the orientation, we visited various places like the Canal and historical museum in Indianapolis, had lunch at an Indian and Mexican restaurant, and went shopping at Castleton square mall and so on. Everything was extremely fun after all. The international orientation lasted for 5 days before freshmen Saturday. I had a lot of unforgettable memories during those days.

It’s undeniable that academic at Wabash is tough. It took me time to adjust to a new stimulating learning environment where roundtable discussion-based lecture is popular and where we students struggle and work hard all day long to finish our papers and project. I still vividly remembered someone told me in a jovial manner “ Wabash always writes, Wabash never sleeps”. Although I have certain difficulties dealing with homework and exams initially, I find my special interest and affection in all of the classes that I’m taking this semester. I have had great time working with Photoshop, Flash, making those silently still object turn into vivid and lively animations thanks to my computer-based art class instructed by professor Wilkins. I know how to create a website with various elements. I’m currently working on my net art project which I can freely express my perspective of the world and bring it to the global internet. Isn’t it great?

Speaking of social life, honestly I didn’t expect it to be interesting before I came here. “Is it really a joke that you are going to an all-male school?” I keep questioning myself. But all of my doubt was completely dispelled when I found myself immersed in a variety of traditional, meaningful and exciting activities. I was involved in the homecoming day as a photographer. I also helped to paint the bench and had fun sleeping outdoor under the cold weather with frozen dew. I participated in the presentation of Vietnamese moon cake festival for the Asian Society. I’m currently a tenor singer for Glee club, which gives me a refreshing opportunity to perform in many concerts and traditional events. My life is now in balance and I don’t feel frustrated about a no-girl environment as before since there’s always a bunch of thing available out there for me to do.

Although I have been here for only 3 months, Wabash does teach me something “you should never cease to make the best out of everything. Stop complaining and do your best if you want to achieve everything”