Wabash Blogs Visiting the Northwest

« Returning to Portland, Seattle for Magazine Roll Out | Main | College Celebrates Pac-Northwest Alumni »

Seattle Magazine Reception Monday Night

Monday, April 6
Just thought I'd do a quick update this morning. It's another stunningly beautiful day in Seattle. I was really lucky with the weather for this trip. The last two weeks seems like the forecast was cloudy, cool and rain every day!

I learned this morning we may have a prospect or two at our alumni function tonight which is very cool. We have graduates from all eras and that's a great opportunity for a young man to get a feel for Wabash.

I took the obligatory walk down to Pike Place Market this morning and took some photos. See the album here.,

Sunday, April 5
SEATTLE, Wa. - It's always great to return to a place of many great memories.

After a pretty full day of travel, I'm in Seattle, Washington, for the first of two alumni receptions celebrating the latest issue of Wabash Magazine - The Great Northwest.

Alumni will gather Monday night in downtown Seattle at the Washington Athletic Club for an evening of Wabash fun. We'll have copies of the magazine on hand, thought it was mailed last week. Tuesday night I'll be in Portland to host a similar reception there with Bob and Sandy Chamness.

It was a somewhat rare and glorious day in the Northwest Sunday. It was the kind of day that draws people to this beautiful part of the country. I flew into Portland from Indianapolis and then drove to Seattle. The temperatures were in the mid 60s but even more amazing was the sunny skies and NO RAIN!

I had an incredible view of Mt. Hood flying into Portland, almost close enough to reach out and touch it. In the distance, you could see Mount St. Helens and Mount Ranier. So the 3.5-hour drive up I-5 was made a little easier with the fantastic views of the three big mountains.

I"m staying in the same hotels in both cities as I did last summer when I was out here reporting the stories in this issue of the Magazine. The pic above is looking out the window of my hotel. I'm afraid I wasn't very adventurous after such a long day.

I returned to one of the real inconoclastic restaurants of this beautiful city - The Palace Kitchen, owned by renowned chef Tom Douglas.

It's a funny place because if you just walked by you might never stop. But the food is incredible with incredible flavor and taste combinations.

It is classic northwest cuisine. I went back for the appetizer that draws them in from around Washington state. It's a fondue of goat cheese, fresh cream and french lavender. The chef throws pieces of bread on the grill, and slices apples for dipping. It's one of the most unique flavor combinations you'd ever hope to have.

Monday morning I'll visit Pike Place Market and check out the Washington Athletic Club for the evening's reception. Several of the guys profiled in this issue have said they'll attend. I can't wait. We'll have pictures and something up Monday night as quick as possible.