Wabash Blogs The Graduate

« Christopher Geggie '08 | Main | Brandon Stewart '08 »

Alex Loucks '08

2 August 2008

The last time I wrote was back in mid-July before I had started working and after I had helped build a house in Montana.  Now, it is the beginning of August and I have been working for a month with Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA).  Even though I have been working this long, I haven’t really started a project nor done much of any work.  We, the Management Fellows, have been in a month long orientation learning the ins-and-outs of the enterprise and how the hospitals function.

Before I dive into what is going on at work, I should update everyone on my personal and social activities or lack thereof.

When I wrote in June I was confident I had found an apartment with a great price and in a good location.  But, as the move-in date of July 1 quickly approached I became less confident.  On the 28th of June I received a call from my future landlord that I wasn’t able to move because the previous tenants had not yet moved out, and they where not going to be leaving until the end of July.  So as any new college grad would do when they are getting ready to move to a new city to start a new life, I decided I would pack the essentials (my suits, shirts, a few casual clothes, and other necessities) into my car and head to the Chicago area a day before work started and basically live out of my car.  This turned out to be quite an adventure.

For the past month I have been sleeping in hotels and on friends’ couches until I can move into the apartment on the 2nd of August, which happens to be today.  This actually worked out pretty well and I have been able to save a little money to avoid borrowing to get started on the right foot.  Many of you probably wonder how I have time to write this on moving day, well I am currently on a 4-hour flight returning to Chicago-O’Hare at 7:00pm tonight.  Upon my return I will be calling my landlord to meet at the apartment for the keys and move into my apartment without furniture.  Because of this, I will be sleeping in my own place in a sleeping bag for the next week until I can return to my parents to actually move all of my stuff.  After returning with my furniture from my parents, I am planning on dropping it in my apartment and head to Philadelphia for the next 3 months for work.

Other than the hick-ups with my apartment, I really haven’t had anytime to start a social life in the Chicago area or have much of a personal life.  My current personal life has consisted of work events and co-workers, but I’m not complaining too much.

4 August 2008--Continuation…..

So far I have spent 2 nights in my new apartment and things are going well.  I haven’t had time to really check the building out because I am now sitting in an airport with a delayed flight.  If you don’t like airports or airplanes don’t take a job with a large travel aspect!

Currently, I am having fun jetting around learning about the different parts of the organization.  I have also had the opportunity to meet many key people in the organization.  Other than this I have not been able to accomplish much at work besides meeting many people and learning vital information for the growth and success of our company.  I do not have much else to write on but hopefully I will be able to add more detail and specifics later this month when I have a little more time.

I’ll be writing again soon.  Hopefully I will be able to include more detail and some exciting new adventures besides airplanes and airports!