Pusateri ’14: Internship Shaping Career Plans.

Brad Pusateri ’14 – During the weeks leading up to the first day of my internship with Allegient LLC, I spent a large portion of my time wondering what exactly I was going to be doing. Frankly, I imagined a large majority of my average workday to involve executing trivial office tasks such as fetching coffee, filing paperwork, or making copies.  To my surprise, my perceived vision of an internship was the furthest thing from reality.

I am here in beautiful Indianapolis. Seeing as this summer is my first being spent as an intern, I had a lot to learn right off the bat. However, Lindsey LaBerge, Wabash alumnus Jim Kerr, and the rest of the business development team have taken me under their wing and taught me not only the ins and outs of sales and marketing, but also provided valuable insight into my future and how to achieve my goals post-graduation.

Pusateri at work, in center.

One of the standout lessons I have learned up to this point came about while attending a Go In-bound Marketing conference. Just as the products and technology available today change so rapidly, advertisement and marketing strategies must evolve at the same pace. For example, last year there were more smartphones sold than babies born. Due to the boom, a company’s mobile presence is crucial. Forty percent of consumers will turn to a competitor’s website if the one they are on is not mobile optimized or a smartphone app is not available. As mobile becomes larger and larger, social mediums such as Twitter and blogs will become a progressively larger part of a company’s marketing strategy. I would have never guessed today’s top companies are generating business by utilizing a social media tool I use every day!

During my time here, I have had the opportunity to take the reins on a number of marketing projects and gain real-world experience in the field. One such project was the creation of content and design of a marketing flyer for a partnership between Allegient and Prentice Consulting. The project taught me to hone my writing skills in order to be dually concise and captivating in my content, a must in business writing. I have also had the opportunity to team up with Allegient’s Channel Manager, Andy Brockett, to research metrics and KPI’s (Key Performance Indicators) being used by today’s top executives in order to better educate our sales team on what our clients really want and need, making them more efficient in the field.

My internship with Allegient, in my opinion, has been one of the most influential and valuable experiences of my life. I would like to thank the Lilly Endowment, Wabash alumni, Allegient, family, and friends for giving me this opportunity to learn so much. With the knowledge I have gained during my time here, I have a much clearer understanding of the career path I wish to follow next spring.

This entry was posted in 2013 Summer Internships. Bookmark the permalink.