German ’11 Learning More About Law in Louisville

Jake German ’11 -This summer I have the great opportunity to pursue an internship with the Legal Aid Society of Louisville through the Small Business Internship Program offered by the Wabash College Schroeder Career Center. The mission of the Legal Aid Society is simple and compelling: Pursuing Justice, Restoring Hope. All of the lawyers, paralegals, office personnel, and interns are committed to the rather formidable task of pursuing justice for people who live in poverty – an especially daunting job when one considers the recent tough economic climate in our country.

My main project this summer is to create a video of client testimonials for the development division of the Legal Aid Society. Since Legal Aid represents many clients with various legal needs, this presents a unique opportunity for me to work for public service as well as hone my research skills and knowledge of legal advocacy. Although my primary interest is jurisprudence, client interaction and community involvement expand my “people” skills which will prove valuable as I look for a job after graduation. Case research has been another important facet of my duties; Legal Aid defends clients who face foreclosure, eviction, and bankruptcy as well as those clients who need government benefits. 

Another aspect of my internship includes filing cases in the different courts in Jefferson County where the city of Louisville is located. Circuit court and family court comprise the two separate civil divisions which are then divided into the various types of cases that appear before the bench. Filing cases and briefs exposes me to everyone from the sheriff’s department to the judges themselves. Contact with these people who serve the court and rule on cases has been vital for feedback and understanding of the legal process.

As well my internship has given me the opportunity to enjoy the city of Louisville. I would describe it as a “small” big city that has much to offer visitors and locals. Victorian architecture, Shakespeare in the park, Muhammad Ali museum, live bands, Bats baseball games, and Friday night horse racing at Churchill Downs are a few possibilities for entertainment. Louisville is a nice mixture of Southern and Midwestern culture; the Southern drawl and friendly people have made me feel very welcome to live and to work here. 
This entry was posted in Summer 2010. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to German ’11 Learning More About Law in Louisville

1. John Roberts says:

Sounds like you’re doing great work Brother Jake – making us all proud!
    Dr. Roberts