Froedge ’10 Learning Education at Childrens Museum

Justin Froedge ’10 – This summer I have been priding myself in the fact that I keep in close touch with Wabash through reading the many different articles and blogs posted on the website daily. Many of the blogs that are posted are, of course, from fellow classmates posting about their exciting internships all over the country! While I believe that many of my Little Giant companions are having the experiences of a lifetime, it is hard for me to believe that anyone is having as intriguing or exciting internship as I am at The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis. (Except my fellow TCM intern Tian Tian) I truly have been privileged this summer as an intern in the School Services department of the world’s largest Children’s Museum.

If you have not been to the Museum in a few weeks, months, or years I would suggest making a trip back because of the many changes and additions the staff has made in only the short time I have been there. The new welcoming center has opened and the museum is playing host to 3000 year old artifacts from Egyptian pharaohs, including King Tut himself! (This all has taken place within the time I have been there!) Many of the icons that I remember from childhood are still in place, while many new exhibits have also taken their place within the core of the museum, including the famous water clock that still amazes me even though I walk by it 20 times a day. One icon, the carousel, has showed me that no matter how old you get, a spin in a circle on a metal horse can always bring out the little kid within.

From what I have said so far it may appear that I am just an exhibit tester all day, but this is far from the truth. While there is specific time for “gallery observations” during my week, I find myself on a very tight schedule for most of my day. As an intern for School Services I find myself working very closely with teachers who are at the museum in order to gain credit towards renewing their licensure in Indiana by participating in professional development institutes and workshops. I have been in charge of much of the logistical work for all of these workshops.   This work includes all of the paper work and odd jobs that must be done in order to promise a professional workshop to teachers on topics that can range from Anne Frank to King Tut. 
Much of the work I do deals with informing teachers about all that the museum can offer them within their classrooms throughout the entire year, instead of just during the time they are planning for a field trip to the museum.  In addition, I have had the opportunity to sit in meetings and lectures given by vice presidents and the CEO of The Children’s Museum in order to gain knowledge about what it means to be a professional in the business field with emphasis on non-profit organizations. 
Overall, I cannot possibly report all of my experiences in this small blog, but I can say that working with many highly educated educators in my department has given me a look at what it is like to use an education in education for educating educators. While this may seem like a mouthful, I came into this internship looking to discover the many different forms that are taken on by educators and I am thankful to The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis for showing me what is possible with a desire to teach.
In the photo: Justin stands in front an exhibit that was partially designed and constructed by Wabash alumnus David Orr ’92.

One Response to Froedge ’10 Learning Education at Childrens Museum

1. marcia Compton says:

Hi Justin, nice article. Glad the summer intern was a good experience for you. Your Friend, Marcia