Wabash Blogs Singing, Serving & Swinging: Spring Break 2010

« Three Alums Infuse Pragmatism and Professionalism into Careers in Politics and Public Policy | Main | Finishing up in New Orelans »

The Final Day

Jake Ezell '11 - Sadly, today was our last day in Las Delicias. I can honestly say I will miss those kids and working in the clinic. We had told the kids we usually played with during the lunch hour that we would be leaving after today on Thursday. I was completely surprised when, in between helping the doctor intake patients, a little girl with a Styrofoam cone-cup full of Coke came in to give me a drink as a treat. Walking outside the clinic, I saw the kids had brought pieces of banana and fruit gum as well as Coke to share with us on our last day. I was completely floored by their generosity and taken aback by the fact that those kids had found the means to carry out such an act of kindness. It meant a lot and hopefully stands representative of a week well done.

To to bottom of page to see a video Alex Moseman '11 put together about the trip.

The rest of the afternoon, we painted a Wabash mural on the clinic wall, “Wabash Always Fights” above the exam room door, and played cops and robbers as well as danced with the kids. When we went to leave, the kids found some sharpies, asked us to sign their arms, and then did the same to us. After some departing hugs, the bus driver took off in a hurry as the van fell somber and silent as 5 Wabash men reflected on the work done. Two minutes later, the sub-woofer in the bus rang out, the smiles returned to the guy’s faces, and we enjoyed one final ride through Las Delicias waiving to the people with whom we had spent the last week.

I honestly cannot say enough about my time spent here in El Salvador. It was a trip filled with statements such as, “Man, I am going to move down here someday,” “I can’t wait to come back this summer,” and “I’ve never done that before.” I think each of us genuinely took some life changing lesson from the trip. Most shocking to myself was how pleasant the people here were. With 50 pounds of bananas stacked atop their head and a toddler holding onto their first hand, the people would never hesitate to wave and smile with the second offering a friendly, “Buenas.” It is simply shocking to me how these people possessed none of the commodities and items of luxury we have in the United States, but never once complained or appeared to stop loving life. I think there is a lesson to be learned for us all in the way these people live and at the very least a cause for reflection on how we live, what is important, and where we’re going with our lives.

For all of you:
It has been very refreshing to have met and worked with young men that still believe in the human kind. By this I mean that the footprint you left in the community of Las Delicias, El Salvador, is a vivid proof of how easy it is to bring two different worlds together simply by overcoming different types of barriers, such as language and traditions (just to mention a couple), which sometimes are used as an excuse to draw humans apart from each other. I admire your various talents and personalities because you were clever enough to use them as your tools to emerge as leaders of a new generation that is dedicated to forging solutions to meet today's needs around the world. Thanks for all your unique and amazing work! :)
-"Doctorcita" Tania Lopez

Glad to know my alumni dollars are doing good things. Keep it up!

This makes me miss Wabash.