Wabash Blogs Present Indiana

« | Main | Seeing Southern Indiana's Great Old Gyms »

Going to see State's First Capital

Sean Huston '10 - On Thursday I traveled to Corydon, Indiana’s first state capital. After a grueling 3 hour drive, I made it to the tourism information center to get a map and walking directions to the sites I wanted to see. I saw the State Capital Historic Site and the Constitution Elm. 

There were bus loads of fourth graders visiting the old capital at the same time. The tour guide told me that they get over 11 thousand students a year coming to the state government building and tours. I took photos and some establishing shots with the video camera with plenty of background activity, as the fourth graders were running around everywhere and the roads around the sites were busy for such a small town. 

I only had to walk about two blocks to find the Constitution Elm. The Constitution Elm provided shade for the 43 delegates who drafted Indiana’s first constitution in 1816 and died from Dutch elm disease in 1945; today the trunk of the once mighty elm is encased in a stone memorial. I took in the atmosphere of the town and got a feel for the symbols behind the history of Corydon and Indiana.    

In Photos: Top right, the first State Capitol Building. Lower left, Huston at the site of the Elm.