Wabash Blogs Prague 2006 Immersion Trip

« Tax-Free Crystal, Haircuts, and McDonald's | Main

I have not made peace with that

Mike Lawlor ’06 (susodicho Una Muno) Friday was a day overcast by a somber, pensive, and melancholy tone.  This mood was because all of us realized we only had one more night with our beautiful new friends, beautiful city, and beautiful country.  It was such a wonderful trip that we wanted to take advantage of the little time we had left.  Moreover, we heard the tragic news about our friend Han Jiang at lunchtime.  Dr. Turner let us know about the unfortunate accident because we all new and were friends with Han.  Wabash lost a great student, friend, and man.  He will undoubtedly be missed by all who knew him.

On a lighter note, Dr. Phillips led an excursion to a nice little café for lunch.  We had a relaxing meal, and then it was on to our last little bit of shopping and exploring.  I know that Good Times and I took full advantage of this time.  I even managed to remember to find the Kubista, which is the first cubist style building in the Czech Republic and one of the first in all of Europe.  It is not much to look at, but I thought it was very intriguing merely because the majority of the other buildings in Prague are very ornately garnished, so it was a refreshing change. 

The true focus of the day did not come until 7:30.  We had made plans to attend the symphony as a group.  It was a marvelous experience.  The music was very upbeat and uplifting which was much appreciated at this point in time.  However, the best aspect of the symphony was the concert hall itself.  It reminded me of older style cathedrals with the paintings on the ceiling, elaborate decorations with gold, and one of the most beautiful backdrops I have ever seen.  This was mixed about the numerous columns throughout the balconies.  All in all, it was a stunning building that could not help but keep my attention, which is quite a feat. 

After the performance, we had the longest clap in the history of the arts.  It must have been over ten minutes in length.  The conductor went away and came out about 10 times.  He was quite a showman, but it turned out to be pretty frustrating because we were hoping for an encore.  Needless to say, we did not get one, but it was still a wonderful time.

Later, the group decided to give clubbing one last shot.  However, this time was a unique experience because our guide was Jitka, our waitress.  She took us to a fantastic club near the river.  In short, Friday was an excellent way to end our stay in a exciting, fun, and beautiful country.