Wabash Blogs London Immersion Trip

« Friday | Main | The Final Connection »

Saturday and getting Home

Saturday was travel day. We left the hotel at 7:30 a.m. (2:30 a.m. Indiana time). After a 30 minute train ride to Gatwick we had about an hour and a half at the airport before boarding. We took turns watching the pile of luggage while others went off to spend the last of their pounds at the duty free shops. We boarded about noon for our eight hour flight. In Philadelphia we had to go through customs, claiming and rechecking bags.
We had some time to rest before boarding the oven (no air conditioning) for an hour and forty five minute flight to our final destination.

We arrived in Indianapolis about 20 minutes early. We boarded the vans to head home after a long week. Our van had some very tired people on it. It was almost 9:00 p.m. Indiana time but our bodies, still on London time, thought it was 2:00 a.m.

We arrive on campus about 9:30 p.m. and each headed our separate ways. I had to track down one of the guys who accidentally took my luggage instead of his own. I wasn't letting that bag go far, it had chocolate in it!

I've heard for years how important immersion trips are to College. Honestly, I've wondered how important it really was to a class. Did the students really get engaged by what they saw and experienced or did they just think "cool, we get to go to London"? Well, let me tell you from my point of view after this experience, the students do immerse themselves. They soak up every moment of the experience. They ask intelligent questions and they learn in a unique way.

I learned things on this trip too. I am grateful for the opportunity to document this trip and look forward to reviewing the 1100 or so pictures we took and the seven hours of video. Watch your email for opportunities to see some of these pictures and video.

A big thank you to the students and especially Professor Tobey Herzog, his wife Peggy and son Joe. They made the trip a great experience for everyone. One word of advice to you. If Professor Herzog ever asked you to go for a walk with him, make sure you have your best runners on!!

Jeana