I’m on a Boat: BashBunking with Capt. Murph ’76

Colin Corcoran ’17

My first experience through BashBunks was one I surely will never forget. While interning for the professional lacrosse team, The Chesapeake Bayhawks, I was in need of a place in the area to stay for the summer; however, living in Indiana, it made it hard to find a suitable place in Annapolis, MD.

Colin Corcoran ’17 with Captain Allen Murphy ’76 on the Kelly IV

Over the course of my stay with Captain Murphy, or “Murph” as his friends all called him, not only was I able to get to know him and his passion for Wabash, but also his passion for sailing. Murph took me out sailing a couple of times around the Chesapeake Bay which was an amazing experience.  I was able to learn some basics of sailing, as well as some sailing history while having tons of great conversations about Wabash now, and when he had attended the college. Each morning before work, we would sit down to breakfast and a cup of coffee while being able to admire the beautiful sites of the Chesapeake Bay and its watershed. Along with this he would take me to shore aboard his dingy so I could get to my car and then head to work. While staying with Murph, I had the opportunity to see many different sites of Annapolis and was able to meet a number of his friends that he had met over the years through his travels who were all also extremely kind to me. Through the generosity of Captain Allen Murphy ’76 and Wabash Career Services’ BashBunks program, it was made possible for me to find proper housing for the summer without having to rush to find a place before my internship began, while staying aboard the Kelly IV.

Without Captain Murph and BashBunks, my transition into the internship would have been very hectic trying to find a place to live and meeting people in the area. I owe endless amounts of thanks and appreciation to Murph for being so generous towards me throughout the week. BashBunks introduced me to a man who I now consider a lifelong friend and I look forward to staying in contact with him throughout his next sailing adventures!

This entry was posted in Internships and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.