First Semester Recap

Well it’s been a while since I’ve updated you with a nice blog.  My facisination with Twitter has grown and has left little room for the blog, but now it’s time to carve some time back in for those not in the Twitterverse.  So here comes a great, and probably long winded update on the happenings of Wabash Swimming and Diving over the past three months.

What a great start to a season.  When the majority of the team is comprised of freshmen and sophomores, a coach can never fully know what one might get.  But with a young team comprised of two superior junior student-athletes and a bunch of gullible underclassmen, there is one thing you can rely on:  HARD WORK.  And that is what the team brought to the pool every day this semester, buckets of hard work.  The team set some very high goals for themselves this fall, and we are working on swimming towards those goals.  The first half of the year left us happy, yet unsatisfied.  We left the Calvin Invite 2 weeks ago with 5 freshmen entering the Top 15 All Time Swimming Performance in Wabash history.  Chris McGue made  the list in the 50 free, Arturo Granados in the 1650 and 1000 freestyles, Joel Paquin in the 1000 and 1650 freestyle, Jack Belford in the 1000, 16500, and 500 freestyles as well as the 400 IM, and Elliot Johns in the 100 and 200 freestyles, and the 100 and 200 backstrokes.  Just about everyone on the team was faster at midseason this year than they were at this point last year, and that includes numerous personal bests.

We still need to work on our races strategies, and our starts, turns, and underwaters leave much to be desired, but those are the details I get to yell at them about in practice right now.  And practice without me picking on someone for an underwater or a turn just wouldn’t be fun (for me).

Our motto this year has been “No Diamonds, No Pressure.”  The team can not become great unless we face adversity and deal with the pressure dealt to us, whether it be academically, socially, or in the pool.  We are cultivating an environment that embraces challenge and sees it as an opportunity to improve and become a diamond.  Coal doesn’t turn to diamond overnight or in 3 months, but we are confident the coal will turn to diamonds in 62 days when we take off at the NCAC Championships.

Stay turned as next week, I will reveal my thoughts on Florida and more importantly, my list of the top 5 songs the team will hear during our trip as well.

And if you haven’t done so already, follow the team on @WabashSwimDive on Twitter.