Anxiously awaiting Wabash…

Adam Current ‘11

As a proud member of the incoming class of 2011, I am anxiously awaiting all of the challenges that I will face at Wabash College. Born and raised in Veedersburg, Indiana – a mere twenty-mile hike from campus – I was first intrigued by Wabash because of the closeness of the swimming and diving team. Going through the recruiting process was especially fun for me considering my background in swimming is one in which I was the only one with year-round swimming experience on my high school team.

When I first started to seriously look at colleges during my junior year, I overlooked a lot of the academics of the various colleges – instead choosing to focus on what swimming program would best suit my interests. Understanding how Wabash excels both in the classroom and in the pool was the perfect fit for me. I remember my first official ‘campus visit’ I had – what I saw was a team that was willing to take time out of their busy academic schedules to visit with me as a potential recruit. It was at that moment that I felt as if I actually belonged somewhere.

In my high school career I did see success in swimming, but I lacked the feeling of camaraderie on my team. My high school was so small that I at least knew the names and something about all eighty members of my graduating class. Needless to say, I will be looking forward to attending a slightly larger college…while still holding on to the uniqueness of a small-school setting. I qualified for the Indiana state meet in both my junior and senior years, and am looking to build upon such success at the collegiate level. With a talented group of freshmen and an extremely talented group of returning swimmers/divers, I am anxious to have the feeling of being a part of a true ‘team.’

This summer I am waking up at 5:30am every morning to train for the upcoming season. I am also coaching our neighborhood swimming team with fellow Wabash friend and teammate, Kyle O’Keefe. On July 12th, I am heading to Coburg, Germany for my high school’s foreign exchange trip, which will be my second year participating in the program. In Coburg, I will enjoy the best bratwursts known to man and also the town’s outdoor fifty-meter pool with adjoining waterslide and wave pool. Most importantly, however, is my excitement for joining the Wabash swimming and diving program upon my return.

Anxiously awaiting Wabash…

Adam

2 Responses to Anxiously awaiting Wabash…

1. Charlie Crowley says:

As an alumnus trying to recruit for Wabash from a major metropolitan area (Minneapolis/St. Paul), I never get to hear of Wabash described as a “…larger college.” It’s very refreshing. As fair warning Adam, you’ll feel you “belong” for the rest of your life. Welcome!

2. Peter Casares says:

Adam – You are going to have an amazing year! Can’t wait to read about all your successes!