Wabash Blogs La Capital

« Social Separation | Main | From the Hills of Maine to...? »

Monumental

Ryan Morris '08

Today, we were scheduled to leave the Casa de los Amigos at 7:30 am. Of course, everyone woke up at 7:20, and rushed to get dressed to leave in time. We all packed up, walked to the metro station, and after various attempts to jump on the correct metro line, we ran into Dr. Jeremy Hartnett and his wife. I know, random. Once we reached the bus station, we relaxed for the long and scenic ride to the pyramids of Teotihuacan.  On the freeway, it was incredible, but also depressing. Not only did we pass a Domino’s Pizza stand and a KFC advertisement, we were inundated by a sea of grey buildings that stretched all throughout the hills. This sea of grey dilapidated buildings, often stacked on top of each other, was very reminiscent of the favelas of Brazil. Once we reached the pyramids, I was confronted with one of the most massive monuments I’ve ever seen in my life. As we pulled into the site, the large Pyramid of the Sun towered over all buildings and trees in sight. As we walked through the site, we found ruins of smaller pyramids, and bedrooms that once belonged to Teotihuacáno priests. By the way, the pyramids at Teotihuacan were not built by the Aztecs, as many people think. According to Dr. Warner, the pyramids were actually built by the Teotihuacános- a people that we know very little about. The Aztecs arrived after the mysterious disappearance of the Teotihuacán’s.

Once we started to climb the pyramids, I forgot that the steps were not made for someone that is 6 foot 3, with a size 13 shoe. The stairs of the pyramids were extremely steep, and all of us Wallies that are out of shape, were wheezing and panting the entire way up the pyramid. It takes about 20 minutes to climb a pyramid. From the top of the pyramid, you could see the Avenue of the Dead, which was the last avenue that you walked before being sacrificed. It was like the Teotihuacan version of Death Row. Today, I saw some of the most beautiful architecture and engravings in these ancient ruins. I must say that just because something is ancient, certainly does not mean that it is primitive. The sight of the Pyramid of the Sun and the Pyramid of the Moon are two of the most amazing structures I have ever seen, and I am so intrigued by the history, or lack there of, of the mysterious people that constructed them. Visit Mexico City!

In Photos: Top Left: Back Row: Jesse James, Ben Gonzalez, Adrian Mendoza, Philip Graves, Dave Coddens, Michael Warner, Dean of Admissions Steve Klein, Jon Miller, Justin Raisor, Front: Don Feeney, Professor Richard Warner, Craig Engledow, Eric Huh

Bottom Right: Professor Hartnett and his wife join the class in Mexico City while honeymooning.

Click Here To See Day 1 Photos