Adams Absorbing the Wonders of Rome

Wes Adams ’14 – “For Rome, one life is not enough.”  I have only been in this city for two days and I believe that statement to be entirely true.  There are too many sights, sounds, smells, and tastes to ever experience them all. I could write forever about all the marvelous things I have experienced during this week in Italy. I could write pages upon pages describing the Colosseum, the remains of Pompeii, or even the splendor of St. Peter’s Basilica.  However, I do not desire to describe what I have seen. I would much rather write about two things that have been on my mind during this trip.

Earlier this week I came across Proverbs 20:12.  “The hearing ear, and the seeing eye, the Lord hath made even both of them.” This simple passage has shaped everything I have seen here in Italy. It is a verse that means so much to me. I have been seeing so many marvelous accomplishments of man and still none compare to the seeing eye.  Even the great St. Peter’s Basilica in all of its grandeur compares little to God’s handiwork.  It has been a humbling thought for me this entire week.

This entry was posted in Hartnett in Ancient Rome. Bookmark the permalink.