Freshmen Spend Day Exploring Haworth

Sam Vaught ’16

Samuel Vaught ’16 – Navigating both metro trains and a busy bus station, our brave gang of 17 moved on from Shipley to the picturesque village of Haworth. Our arrival to the cobblestoned streets and weathered grey stone homes of Haworth was anticipated by the transition from urban intersections to the sloping fields of the nothern countryside.

Haworth is seated on the edge of the Yorkshire moors, a bleak landscape of low stone walls and chilly hills. The village was the home of Emily, Anne, and Charlotte Bronte; it witnessed both their amazing childhood and the creation of classics such as Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre. In fact, visitors to their home, the Haworth Parsonage (their father was the village vicar), can hike a mile or two into the moors to visit the forbidding ground of the real Wuthering Heights.

Today satisfied all my desires for stereotypical British culture: I walked through a beautiful village; stopped in a quaint post office to send some postcards via Royal Mail; battled rain and wind on a treeless moor; explored a fantastic English church, St. Michael and all Angels, complete with ancient stone floors, ornate stained-glass windows, and a parish cat; ate lunch in a warm pub and feasted on traditional British cuisine.

At the end of the day, I realize that this has been an excpetion – England is far more diverse than it was in the days the Bronte sisters explored their magical backyard. For dinner I had chicken curry – Indian food is immensely popular here – in the middle of a bustling, global city, Sheffield. We have made our rounds from new to old and back again.

Sheffield. When I think of the name, I picture Sheffield, MA, the small New England town my grandfather was raised in, which looks more like Haworth than the metropolis outside my hotel window. What a fantastic was to open my mind to this gloriously multi-faceted, 21st century British culture – harkening to the past for inspiration and exciting looking to the future.

This entry was posted in Widdow's Tutorial: England's Industrial Revolution. Bookmark the permalink.