Wabash Blogs Immersion 2009: Spain - The Baroque Era

« | Main | Living the Life in Madrid! »

The Art of Spain: Paintings and Music

Tuesday, March 10th

Today we went on a guided tour with Joaquan Hortal to the El Escorial. It was the residence of the King of Spain but functioned as a monastery and a school for boys. The building was very beautiful but very cold inside though; I advise taking a coat or jacket. Some of the painting and portraits were amazing. Yet others were a bit out of element. For example, there was a circle painting of Jesus and about 5-6 guys pulling on him. The painting was a square and outside of the square there were female angels killing what looked like rat demons. The place was nice and huge though. To see the things restored for the royal family was great. We could not take pictures once inside. Sorry guys no pictures. 

After lunch, I decided to explore more of Madrid on my own in search of hip hop influence in Spanish and baroque music. Still listening to my Ipod, I viewed Madrid in the form of music. Without the language completely tuned out, you see similarity in Spaniards and Americans. Professor Bost mentioned the same thing at lunch about the similarity. Talking to each other, hanging out with friends, the laughing, and enjoyment are the same; which makes you remember that we are all still human. Walking around the different stores, it seemed like being at a big city in the U.S.

I found the store FNAC, which is a music store.  I got two CDS that were hip hop based Spanish music and one CD of baroque music.  Mala Rodrigueg, known as the best rapper and female rapper in Spain music is so fast. I almost listened to the whole CD without noticing it.  The all male group Violadores Del Verso is a group of rappers too.  They are an okay group too but not as good as Mala in my opinion. In both, I can hear the hip hop influence in the beat. I can also tell that they are rapping even though I cannot understand what they are saying because of the style in which they are speaking and saying their words. The baroque music CD I bought comes from a guy named Gaspar Sanz (c. 1640-c. 1710) from the baroque period.  He brings a different form of music into this period that is unique compared to earlier baroque we studied earlier in class.

-Marquise Triplett ‘10