Wabash Blogs Immersion 2009: Politics/Economics of the EU

« The Cathedral and the Mission to the EU | Main | Belgium a dream came True! »

A Walk Through Bad Weather Leads to Good Dinner

Seth Flater '10 - Throughout this trip, I have only been able to come  up with one complaint.  It seems like every time we decide to go  somewhere there weather turns from bearable to terrible. Like just  yesterday we decided to walk to this restaurant, which was  recommended to Prof. Hollander by a certain cellist, and right when  we started walking the sun went away and it began to rain. Then not  two minutes later it began to hail.

Even in this ‘end of times’ type weather we kept moving and made it  to the restaurant for dinner. This dinner was one of the most  interesting experiences I have ever had. Not only was the food very  good, but I had the opportunity to try things like calf brains and pigs  feet; being a 10-year 4-H member these two things added meaning  for me.

This bad weather to great experience continued the next day. We had to be up bright and early for a meeting with the European Commission. On the way there rain was just pouring on us, but none the legs we made it on time. After drying off and getting warm we proceeded to listen to three different speakers talking about the EU. These talks for me really helped to take those things I have been striding and reading in class and put them in a real life context. Listening to people talk about issues they are working on gave me a broader understanding of what the EU does.

So far the whole experience has been absolutely amazing. Neither rain, nor sleet, nor hail is going to keep me from enjoying this trip. I am sure the rest of the trip will continue to be great.
But a little sun would be great…after all, it is spring break.

Top Left: Wabash men gather for dinner after a walk through rain and hail...all agreed it was worth it.