Wabash Blogs Immersion 2009: New York Art

« Day 4 - Realism in New York | Main | Day 5 - Rather Shallow and Pedantic at the Guggenshmuggen »

Day 5 - Zen and the Art of Craft

Nick Roudebush, Class of 2009 – My feet hurt, but now as we are preparing to leave. I am beginning to understand the workings of this crazy city. The subways are extremely efficient and there is a Starbucks on every corner. Our first stop this morning was the Guggenheim Museum. There was an amazing exhibition titled “The Third Mind” which showcased several contemporary artists and their contemplation of Eastern Philosophy. I address similar themes in my work, so this experience will turn out to be very beneficial upon my return to the studio. I saw work by Richard Tuttle, Sugimoto, Carl Andre, Tom Marioni, and even Jack Kerouac. The notion that most of these artists were Westerners interested in Eastern philosophy seemed to address the difficulty of bridging two cultures. At the Guggenheim there was also an exhibition by Young and Zazeela titled “Dream House.” This work required the viewer to take off his/her shoes and enter a dark room with dramatic lighting effects and intense monotone noise blasting from big speakers. It was successful at investigating the nature of sound as a medium; kind of like musical minimalism. Also saw a sweet work by Ann Hamilton that utilized the architecture of the museum.

From there we went to the Whitney and then to the Museum of Art and Design. The later was by far my favorite of the trip. The essence of the museum was to place a certain importance on the art of craftsmanship itself. Quite necessary if you ask me. I saw a load of ceramic work and there was a nice show of found object sculpture as well.

Going back to the hostel to take a nap. Peace Out.