Wabash Blogs Immersion 2009: Glee Club Trip

« Wednesday, March 11th: Kimmel Center for Performing Arts/Rosemont Village Retirement Home | Main

Thursday, March 12: Philadelphia Museum of Art/Freedom VIllage Retirement Home Concert

Today was a wonderful day in Philadelphia. The sun shone for the first time all week and I was ready to enjoy my last day in Philly. I woke with my roommates to go to breakfast at Elephant and Castle restaurant where I ordered some scrumptious buttermilk pancakes. Afterwards, the Glee Club met with Dr. Bowen to discuss the day’s activities.
We proceeded to board the bus to the Art Museum. Not only is it one of the biggest museums in the country, but it is also famous for its scene in Rocky, where Rocky ran up the steps to the museum in triumph. The museum hosted famous art by Cezanne, Delacroix, Monet, as well as many Asian and contemporary pieces. After walking around for a while, my group left to walk around the city where we ended up in Chinatown and ate lunch. After lunch, we walked around the Reading Market and eventually made our way back to the Hotel.
After a quick (and I mean very quick) nap, we traveled to Freedom Village outside of Coatesville, Pennsylvania and performed our last concert. The concert was great--I felt it sounded better than any of our previous concerts. We were shocked when during our performance of “Good Ol’ Accapella”, Dr. Bowen and our accompanist Cheryl Everett danced around. It was a great way to end the concert.
After the concert we traveled to Fred Wampler’s house. Mr. Wampler is a ’57 Wabash Alum and past Orpheus Club president who lives in a colonial house built in 1732. I was astounded by the architecture and the quaint little space it was contained in. They were such a wonderful family. In the end, it was a great way to end our tour. We sang well and got to meet a great alum. Tomorrow we travel back to beautiful Crawfordsville to conclude our tour and this wonderful Spring Break. Wabash always Fights!
--Chris Zabriskie, '12

You really know you are having a blast on a trip when you are woken up by your roommates having a loud conversation and looking at your phone and seeing that it is Thursday and realizing that your trip is almost over.  This day started out with a breakfast at restauranthotelAfter realizing that we only had ten minutes left to eat we head to our rehearsal, we quickly headed to our meeting room where Dr. Bowen educated the whole choir about the art museum that we were headed to. After arriving at the museum, we split off into smaller groups.  My group spent most of them time looking at the European and Asian exhibits.

After spending most of our morning in the museum we walked to a Chinese restaurant to grab some lunch. You truly know you are in an authentic Chinatown restaurant when the music playing in the restaurant is not oriental, the rests room is as small as your closet at home and the food is absolutely delicious.  Later that afternoon we headed to Freedom Village, which is the biggest and nicest retirement home I have ever seen. I have only toured with the glee club once before this year, but both trips I found that performing for nursing homes is the best performance, as the audience is more familiar with our music. Performing at the nursing home is always a treat and is a great way to end the day.

--Bryan Burzon, '11

Pictures

Top: You can't be in Philly without visiting one of the Rocky shrines

Middle: The Philadelphia Art Museum has one of the largest collections of arms and armor in the nation

Bottom: The gateway into Chinatown