Wabash Blogs Immersion 2009: D.C. Externships

« First Day in Washington D.C. | Main | Government and the Legal Business »

Participating in an Externship

Mark Thomas '10

For my externship I have been lucky enough to work this week at L3 Communications under Admiral Alex Miller  '71.  L3 is an IT defense contractor.  As a contractor, L3 is constantly seeking to submit proposals for various Department of Defense contracts which are being bid on by numerous companies.  At L3 I have assisted multiple departments of the corporation in order to better understand how a successful business functions on a daily basis.  A very rewarding aspect of this externship has been the ability to attend multiple meetings during the day.   These span from meetings in the financial department to contract proposal preparation meetings.  Though, by far, the most satisfying part of my time here has been shadowing and speaking with Admiral Miller.

Alex Miller is a retired Navy Admiral, which is the highest rank one can attain while serving in the Navy.  While in the Navy, he served in the intelligence field as a naval cryptologist whose final position of service was Chief of the National Security Agency (NSA).  By following him around and picking his brain, I have been able to understand how important leadership skills are in business and also how Wabash prepared him for his illustrious career in the military and his continuing career at L3.

This past night we were able to travel into D.C. and have dinner with the rest of the Wabash externs, Career Services, and Wabash Alumni.  It is always a great time when you are able to gather with fellow Wallies and speak of past and present experiences at the college we all call home.  I cannot wait for the next couple of days here.  I'm really having a great time and am acquiring a wealth of knowledge throughout this Spring Break.