Wabash Blogs Immersion 2009: D.C. Externships

Main | Participating in an Externship »

First Day in Washington D.C.

Filip Lempa '11

This spring break I have the opportunity to be in Washington D.C. as a participant of a Wabash College externship and networking experience.  I’m here with five other Wabash students, each of us externs at a different place for four days.  We also enjoy networking events and have one day on our agenda allocated to sightseeing.  On Sunday, the first day of the program, our group was welcomed in the capital of the United States at a barbeque cookout organized by the Washington D.C. area Wabash alumni. It was a great pleasure to be there. I am looking forward to the other networking events planned for this week.

Today was the first day at my externship site, the Embassy of Afghanistan. I came here with a previous diplomatic experience of a summer consular assistant at the British Consulate in Katowice, Poland. I was very excited to see how the Afghan people handle their international relations, and to learn more about their country in general.  At the Embassy, I work with Ashraf Haidiri, an Afghanistan native, who graduated from Wabash in 2001.  Mr. Haidiri is a hard-working patriot committed to the difficult task of improving the situation in his country.  We spent the first day of the externship discussing the current events related to Afghanistan, as well as its prospects for the future.  I am very thankful to Wabash for having the opportunity to spend spring break in a vibrant American city, yet doing so in a productive and meaningful way.

Filip