Wabash Blogs Immersion 2009: D.C. Externships

« Work on Capitol Hill | Main

A Week in Washington DC

Sumit Kovoor, '12

On the last day of my D.C. externship experience, I woke up and began to reflect. Through the dedication of the Graham family and the D.C. alumni association, my externship was made possible. In Washington, D.C., I worked with President of DESHO Productions, Aisha Davis. Surprisingly, I was the only extern who was not working directly with an alumnus. Ms. Davis’s father, Jon Davis (Class of 64’), is a Wabash alumnus and a prominent civil rights attorney in the D.C. area. At DESHO Productions, I was a business and event planning intern. I had the opportunity to develop custom contracts for each artist and select upcoming artists for the Summer Live! Series at Ronald Reagan Center.

From conversing with alumni to observing city life, everything was a learning experience. I loved being immersed in the city. In Washington, the lifestyle is so fast paced. I was taken in by everything happening. On Tuesday, I saw a free Tibet protest that I was almost motivated to partake in during my lunch break. During one of my lunch breaks, I had the opportunity to speak with an alumnus from the F.B.I. through the WabashWorks program. Every conversation with an alumnus informed my own career decisions.

This externship experience was an amazing way to spend my Spring Break. I not only gained valuable work experience, but learned about Washington D.C., area alumni, and my own career options. I loved seeing the many historical memorials and buildings. In addition, I was able to stay with Dr. David Pancost (Class of 69’) and Paige Franklin. Dr. Pancost is truly one of our greatest alumni. If you have not yet had the opportunity to meet him, you must during your four years here. This weeklong immersion has been such an enlightening experience – one that I will take with me for the rest of my life. I offer my sincerest thanks to the Graham family (Class of 64’).