Wabash Blogs Immersion 2008: Marketing

« Experience Paying Off | Main | Immersion "Puts Everything Into a New Light" »

Weather Brings Wallies Together

Joseph Hawkins ’09 - I woke up this morning and looked out the window of my hotel room, hoping to see the sun shining and birds chirping.  Unfortunately, all I can see from my window is the gravel on top of another roof.  Even with the view, though, I could see that it was going to be far from sunny and warm.  Today we started out talking about our readings from last night.  We talked a lot about market segmentation and the different processes that marketers use to reach the specific people who will buy their product.  I am learning so much on this trip.  Even though I have to wake up earlier than I do during school, I am really enjoying myself.  It is interesting to be around Wabash men that I do not know all that well outside of the Wabash environment.  We went to a couple of places today including real estate firm CB Richard Ellis and the Engledow Group, a company which specializes in indoor and outdoor landscaping.  We learned a lot about both marketing and sales from these companies, which are more based in sales than marketing.  It was interesting to hear the salesmen talk about how marketing makes their jobs easier.  Hearing the salesmen talk about marketing made the process of learning marketing more real to me because I saw how it affected the other aspect of a business from the people who make up a different aspect of business.

Top: Roland '91 instructs students on segmentation and targeting strategy.

At Right: Students enjoy a dinner together at Hunan Chinese Restaurant.