Wabash Blogs Immersion 2008: Katrina

« Thoughts From Mike Kiram | Main | Hope (by: Barron Heweston) »

Thoughts From John McGaughey

Well, it’s been two days here in New Orleans, and I am loving every second of it. Although the devastation of the city is cause for despair, and in fact is more horrible than I could have imagined, the fellowship of these great Christian men and women is something to behold, and their power to come together and rebuild what was broken is astounding.

Today I was off to the Lower Ninth Ward, having spent the previous day working on a fence for the mission itself. Getting to cross the Mississippi River by ferry, seeing the skyline of New Orleans, and helping restore a man’s destroyed home, I felt truly blessed as God lead me in this fantastic opportunity. Karam, Griffin, Adrian and I were delegated to redo Mr. Ray’s house on Delery Street, and did we ever have a blast destroying rotting wood after a hellish week of midterms. Of course, I bashed my thumb four times with a hammer, but apart from my clumsiness we were able to cover a lot of ground, and I firmly believe that we can restore two or three roofs before we head back to Indiana.

Following work, we got to eat at Rocky and Carlo’s, where the food was unprohibitedly expensive, but large as can be. That’s one thing I have noticed about the Crescent City; it serves its meals in big portions. And the sauce is hot, as Mike Karam will let you know.

But, really, the greatest thing was to see a little girl playing ball in her front yard. Although the destruction all around us is horrible, and New Orleans suburbia has been reduced to a cluster of ghost towns, it was beautiful to see at least one family living a normal life once more.