Wabash Blogs Immersion 2008: Germany

« Der erste Tag in Berlin | Main | Die zeite Tag in Berlin »

Mehr von dem erste Tag in Berlin

Sam Prellwitz '10: After fourteen hours of traveling we arrived in Berlin. It was about 4:00 AM back home. The clock on the plane read 10 Uhr, meaning ten in the morning. That meant, even though some of us had hardly slept during the long journey over the Atlantic, no sleep was in order until later in the night. 

A full day was still to be had, and, being on a tight schedule, we were forced to cram as much into, even the first day, as possible.

On the journey to Berlin I hadn’t thought much about the language part of this excursion. I found out quickly how much I would be using the language even in the most basic ways. One particular experience came with my first time ordering food. I went to a small Backerei (bakery) and ordered a small lunch. It took me a little longer than the usual customer, but I was able to maneuver through the vocabulary that I do have and ordered. 

I also found that the first time using your knowledge of the German language is the most challenging. After that first order, I began to feel much more comfortable and was able to use the language much more freely, whether that was asking about having the internet at our residence, the Corner Hostel, or simply talking with others on the trip to figure out which train to take in order to get back to our Hostel.

Within the first day in Berlin, we’ve experienced plenty. It’s been a whirlwind on the plane, to the bus and the train and then on foot, but in making it we’ve already soaked up a feel for the culture here. We’ve gained in an afternoon an appreciation for the German and specifically Berlin culture that never could have been obtained in the classroom.

Please stay tuned for more exciting updates in the days to come! We’ll be sure to keep you up to date with all happenings.

Vielen Dank!

- Sam Prellwitz

Images: Top right: local bakery in Berlin, Bottom left: Immersion students viewing the Mercedes building and Die Gedachtnichtskirche. 

"... that could never be obtained in the classroom."
Amen and amen. May no textbook ever pretend to portray faithfully and completely a culture (and no teacher ever place trust in a textbook!). Also, let me know if you see an oldish boy walking with no teeth and a raggedy dog on a green leash. Saw him in Spain months ago, said he was from the Rhineland, but could surely happen through Berlin, wandering as he was and no doubt is.