Wabash Blogs Immersion 2008: Everglades

« Ready to Fly | Main | Day Two: Water Turkeys »

Learning by Lamplight

Steve Charles—We’ve set up camp at Long Pine Key Campground in the Everglades. Beautiful, starlit night. Warm breeze. Alligators in the pond behind us.

On the flight down, Max Bader had this to say about his expectations for the trip: “One guy told me that going to the Everglades with Professor Krohne is like seeing the ocean in a submarine with Jacques Cousteau. That’s what I’m mostly looking forward to. If I were here without a class, I’d have all these questions about what we’re seeing. Now I can ask Krohne!”

The learning began as soon as set up our tents. We gathered at the picnic table and, by the light of Professor Krohne’s Coleman lantern, heard more about this strange, scarred but resilient land. Too much too even begin to share here. But one fact took me aback: the Everglades is really a very shallow, wide, and incredibly slow-moving river. A river of grass, some have called it. A place of wonder.

Tomorrow the students will begin sharing their experiences. For now, here’s a photo album from Day One.