Wabash Blogs Health Care in Chiapas

« Much Still to Be Determined | Main | Preventative Medicine Through Vaccination Brigades »

Chiapas!

It’s only been a few days since last writing, but a lot has happened. Brandon and I spent a few days in Mexico City staying with my Aunt and Uncle. We were overwhelmed with Mexican hospitality. My cousins who are much older than me were really helpful despite their busy schedules with work and children. We got a tour of the central part of the city and then were taken out for tacos. We also spent one of the few days we were there at the pyramids just outside of the city. Teotihuacan is the name of the ancient city with ruins over 2000 years old. Don’t confuse these with the Aztecs who were around much later. The sun was high and bright as we climbed the pyramids of the sun and of the moon. We got some pretty nice pictures.

Also as part of that excursion, we stopped by the Plaza de las Tres Culturas (Plaza of the Three Cultures). These are the remains of what was one of the two major islands on in lake Texcoco, where the Aztec city, Tenochtitlan once existed. It’s named after three cultures because you see evidence of the indigenous remains, examples of Spanish colonialism, all surrounded by examples of modern Mexican culture. We also got to see the Basilica of Guadalupe, on the largest Catholic attractions in the Americas. This is something I highly recommend seeing if you are ever in Mexico City. Religion plays a large role in Mexican culture and the story behind the apparition of this particular Virgin says a lot about the Mexican people and their history.

I love the culture here because of the way it embraces the mixture of influences that make the people who they are today. You see examples on the street in artwork, crafts, language, clothing, etc. I’ve been speaking so much Spanish in just a few days that I’m already beginning to pick up so much more. It’s nice to gain comfort in speaking the language. The people you talk to and spend time with hear really teach you something you can’t get in the classroom. Languages take a lot of practice, and I am certain that for the next several weeks that’s exactly what I will be doing.

Today is Thursday the 5th of June and we arrived in Chiapas just last night. The environment is beautiful. The terrain is more mountainous and the vegetation more green than up around the city. Unfortunately for us, we arrived to experience the effects of a tropical storm that has affected the area. It’s kind of gloomy but last night the sun came out. We got settled in our sweet apartment and decided to head out to find some stuff we needed. We bought a couple food items and toiletries and ran into Michael Opiecionek on the street. If you don’t know Mike, he’s a student at Wabash too. He’s Polish, with only two semesters of Spanish under his belt, but he’s managed to get around perfectly for the last few weeks in San Cristobal de Las Casas, the town we are living in. It was funny because we also ran in Jorge Alejandro Diaz. He just finished his freshman year at Wabash and lives here. This was all coincidental and all within the first few hours we were here.

Just an hour ago, I met with the doctor who is organizing my summer projects. I’m getting started quickly and am pretty excited. I know the biggest challenge will be picking up the medical jargon in Spanish. Tomorrow morning I am going to bombarded with it in the doctor’s class here at the university. He deals with medical law, and apparently I’ll be presenting some stuff to the class later this summer on an issue of interest to me. I have yet to find out all the info, but it seems to be exciting. Monday I get to work with another doctor in his clinic. I’ll be meeting with him tonight to discuss what will be happening. Keep looking forward to more updates. I’m kind of unsure at this point but I am really excited to see what’s next.

Hola Juan Carlos,

Great blog, wish I was there. You are sure to enjoy San Cristobal. I am actually giving a paper on San Cristobal in world history at the World History conference in London later this month and will think of your stay there.

It's great to have so many Wallies in SCLC... you will meet people who think we are a huge university like Harvard, since they have met so many of our guys over the years. Thanks for the blog... I promise to be a regular reader.

buena suerte,

Prof Warner

I was in San Cristobal for a couple of days last week; it felt good to be home, and now that I have started a job in Mexico City, I feel like I have to go back and add up to the Wally presence.
Enjoy the town. Eat, go out, know and see, and beware, Virginia Millan can be a bit overwhelming, lol!!
If there is anything I can be of any help with (or my family), pleaset do not hesitate to ask.