Wabash Blogs Glee Club Tours UK

« | Main | Time ticks differently in the United Kingdom »

St. Johns College warmly receives Wabash College Glee Club

Ron King '09

My experience in Great Britain has been really exciting.  I have seen numerous interesting things and have explored many historic places.  This trip has been extremely educational and has really expanded my view of British culture and history.  The experiences that have intrigued me the most were jumping into the Irish Sea and climbing Snowdonia Mountain.  These both are things I would have never imagined myself doing; however, I am extremely grateful that I have had the opportunity to do them.

Today we spent most of our day in York.  This is a tremendously beautiful town, and I was excited to see the York Minster.  We explored many of the gift shops, and I tried British cuisine for the first time.  I had never heard of a baguette, but it was delicious.  Later that evening we performed at nearby St. Johns College for yet another concert.

During the entire trip we have had the opportunity to engage in joint musical endeavors with many British groups, and today was no different.  We were engaged in concert with the St. Johns College’s entire music department.  They are an extremely talented group of individuals, and they apparently thought the same about us, given the constant and spirited applause.  I really enjoyed their band’s rendition of the Simpsons’ theme song. It was a really unique piece.  I was just glad to mingle with people our own ages.  The reception afterwards was a blast.  I met many students of the college who were very anxious to meet people from America.  I felt like I was a celebrity with all the attention I was getting from them.  I even exchanged e-mail addresses with a number of them to stay in contact. This was an experience like no other, and I was glad to be apart of it.

Although the trip is about halfway over, I am still excited about what we have left to do.  This truly is an opportunity of a lifetime, and I can’t wait to share this experience with families and friends.