Wabash Blogs Glee Club Tours UK

« A trip to Edinburgh Castle | Main | Edinburgh yields interesting singing experience in St. Giles church »

A tour of Scotland entrances Wabash man

Filip Dramberian '08

Who goes to Scotland? Who does that? The Wabash College Glee Club, that’s who. So far this tour has been a non-stop educational and musical adventure. With so much to learn in so little time, each new location has offered a myriad of cultural and educational facets that can initially seem daunting. Edinburgh, Scotland, is no exception. While on our drive, we traveled through some of the most scenic countryside thus far. In between estimating how many sheep I could see at one time and finishing a book which covered everything from the life of a princess to peat bogs (which we will hopefully experience in a couple of days), our guide, Tom, gave us some history lessons about Scotland. After a three-hour journey, we picked up a Scottish guide bearing the same name as our bus driver, Bill, just before our arrival in Edinburgh. The information overload continued as our bus tour of Edinburgh began. Two words came to mind, and though under normal circumstances they would have been something like “rippling brook,” in this case the following words were more unsophisticated: “simply amazing.” Girded in traditional attire, including kilt and bagpipe, Bill proved to be a bottomless well of historical information. I was in a trance as I was trying to take it all in. Seeing things like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s home, Alexander Graham Bell’s house, and Robert Louis Stevenson’s childhood residence (who happens to be the author of my favorite Glee Club song entitled, “Sing Me A Song of a Lad That is Gone”)—seeing these things gave me a sense of awe. The end of our bus tour marked the beginning of a tour of Edinburgh Castle. I truly wish I would have had more time to visit everything, because I simply couldn’t stop reading and seeing everything as I was soaking it in like a sponge. We saw the Stone of Destiny, which is the other half of the Blarney Stone. It’s a shame we couldn’t kiss it, however. In addition, I was mesmerized as I visited the prisoner-of-war prison and the Royal Scots Exhibition. Bill confirmed my thoughts about Scotland when he explained the meaning of the Scottish motto, which in Latin reads, “Nemo me impune lacessit,” meaning No one attacks me with impunity. Much like the motto indicates, my experience made it very clear that Scotland as a whole is most definitely not a game. Thus, we’re taking on Scotland, and we have risen to the challenge.