it’s a small world

Kim Johnson – My husband, David, and I just returned from our second trip to Disney World. We made our reservations shortly after we participated in the 500 Festival Mini Marathon in Indianapolis last May. While at the Mini Expo I discovered the Disney World Marathon Weekend and decided it would be a perfect excuse to get to go back to visit my favorite mouse!

On the Friday night before the race David and I were headed back to our room when I heard “does that say Wabash College?” in reference to my sweatshirt. “I graduated from Wabash College. I know you didn’t go to Wabash,” he said with a laugh.

Upon introducing myself and explaining my relationship with the College, I met Marcus White ’91. He said that he and his friend Keith Hall ’90 were also at Disney World for the Marathon Weekend.

While we were there for the half marathon, they were there for the Goofy Challenge. The Goofy Challenge is a half marathon (13.1 miles) on Saturday morning (at 6:00 a.m. nonetheless) and a full marathon (26.2 miles) on Sunday morning. Yes – that is Goofy if you ask me.

I met David at the finish on Saturday morning, where, I must brag, he cut 30 minutes off his last half marathon time. As we headed back to our resort we ran into Marcus and Keith. I took this picture of the two of them (Keith is on the left, Marcus on the right) and promised to get them a little “positive press”.

We saw them again on Sunday after the marathon. I am happy to report they both survived and were able to collect not one, not two, but three medals for the weekend – Donald, Mickey, and the highly sought after, but difficult to achieve – Goofy!

Congratulations Marcus and Keith for a well-fought race! Maybe next year Wabash should get together an even bigger contingent for the race and send someone from Public Affairs to cover it… but who on earth could that be…

2 Responses to it’s a small world

1. SW Allen says:

There is no telling who you will meet at Disney. They do sponsor a lot of health related events. The 1/2 marathon was very exhausting to me but fun.