The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Kim Johnson - When I interviewed four months ago for my position at Wabash nearly every person I spoke with (ten different people if I remember correctly) asked me the same question. Why Wabash?

The answer is easy.

First, it’s Wabash! Having grown up in Crawfordsville I have always been around the College. The campus is beautiful. The faculty, staff, and students are always friendly. And Wabash is consistently ranked as one of the top liberal arts colleges in the country.

Second, I have always been drawn to the higher education setting. There is an energy on a college or university campus that just can’t be matched any place else. There is almost always something going on, there are always great conversations in which to get involved and there is so much potential just bubbling in every corner – the academic buildings, the athletic facilities, the residences. There is constant dialogue, struggling, growing, learning…

What can I say? I’m selfish. I like surrounding myself with great people and engaging environments.

Even today my absolute favorite times of the year include move-in weekend, move-out weekend/commencement, and finals week. (Yes, I was one of those freaks who loved taking final exams – I’m crazy, I know – all the studying, cramming, quiet hours, last minute study sessions – but after all the anticipation, I loved walking out of my last exam knowing I’d done all I could… I would do it all again in a heartbeat!)

Other days that rank pretty high on my list include the first snow of the season (today! see photo album here) and the first “warm” day in the spring. While they seem to be opposites, they are really quite similar.

When the first flakes of snow start to fall, the sleds come out, all studying gets temporarily pushed aside, and it’s all about getting outside and playing! There’s no better excuse to be a kid again than a blanket of fresh snow. (Read more from one Wabash freshman.)

It’s the same with spring. The heavy coats and hats get peeled off and thrown aside. Forget the paper that’s due tomorrow – that’s what midnight is for. The main objective – get outside and play! I love heading across campus and having to dodge Frisbees and walk around hoards of people just sitting on the mall enjoying the simple pleasure of the returning warmth after a long winter.

Ah, there’s just something about being on a college campus, especially this time of year.

One Response to The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

1. Chris Currey says:

Kim,
    Its me again. Somehow I am always drawn to your blog. Your photo album of the First Snow is beautiful. I especially like the photo of Goodrich Hall.
    Chris Currey