Wabash Blogs Visiting the European Union

« European Parliament | Main | "and in between are doors" »

Frankfurt, Germany

Patrick Maguire

The first day in Frankfurt started with an awesome breakfast that apparently wasn’t cheap, so we took advantage and ate enough to last us until dinner. The Money Museum was our first destination, so we headed to the trains. The Museum was an interesting look at not only the history of currency exchange, but also the development of a single currency and the euro.

For the second half of the day, we met with Bastian Wonschik '00, an alumnus who works for the Boston Consulting Group, a management-consulting group based out of Boston with over 60 worldwide offices. He gave us great insight into how he applies his Wabash education to his everyday work, as he takes on a new project every 10-12 weeks for companies varying from car manufacturers to steel manufacturers. I also am convinced after talking to him that I want to pursue an MBA. Bastian received his MBA from Northwestern, and he emphasized the importance of having it as he entered the consulting world. He also highly encouraged getting internships while at Wabash. I’m going to use this opportunity for a cheap plug for the Career Center where I work with 5 other student career advisors. If you need any help finding internships, GET OVER THERE. Also, mock interviews are this Wednesday, so sign up.

After Professor Mikek and Dyson released us for the night, we went back to the hotel to get ready for the Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds concert. We went early in order to get a good seat, and we ended up in the 2nd and 3rd rows for an awesome concert. I’ve been amazed throughout this whole trip how integrated American entertainment is in European culture. While there were some American students studying abroad, most of the people at the concert were Germans, and everyone knew the words to the songs. The best songs were probably a good Dancing Nancies, Lie in Our Graves, and Don’t Drink the Water with a new intro. As we headed back on the metro, we noticed Derek fell asleep on the train. So, being good friends, we had to try and leave him. We all got up without waking him, and were at the door ready to get off, and then Brad “Smiles” Armstrong ruined the prank and called his name. It was a failed mission but we gave the officer and a couple of other people on the train a good laugh. Well, I’m off to pack up and watch Flava of Love in German for a little bit.

Brad Armstrong

Since we got in fairly late last night and everybody was pretty tired from the whirlwind week, today was the first day we really went out and explored Frankfurt. The first thing I noticed right away was that Frankfurt was much more commercialized than Brussels. In the town square in Brussels, there were a lot of laid back, small shops and restaurants, while in Frankfurt there were many more formal establishments. In this case, changing cities was definitely a big change in atmosphere.

Today we went to the Money Museum and met with an alumnus who works with Boston Financial. The Money Museum was very cool, with examples of currency from different time periods and areas. It was amazing to think about how currency changed from rocks and cattle several centuries ago to electronic credit cards today. After the museum, we headed over to an imposing office building and conference room to meet an alum. It’s always encouraging to see a very successful alum doing something he loves.

To cap off the evening, about ten of us went to see Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds play in downtown Frankfurt. The concert was amazing and, in my opinion, one of the best experiences I’ve had this week. Every summer, I go to see Dave Matthews play in Indianapolis, where he has an extremely devoted following, so I was curious to see if he had many fans in Germany. My questions were soon answered when I walked in the door of the concert hall. The place was packed with extremely loud German fans, shouting for Dave. It was funny to hear them sing along with all the lyrics in a way that you could tell they didn’t know what the English meant, but they were even more into it than a lot of American fans are. Dave rewarded them by coming out for three encores, capping off a three hour show that was one of the best I’ve seen.

Top: Bastian Wonschik talks with students. Below: Some students went to a Dave Matthews concert Thursday night. (Photo by Clay Koehler)