Wabash Blogs Ecuador Summer Program

« ¡Gracias Ecuador por todo! | Main | Quito I'll miss you. »

Homesick (Unposted Blog for June 9)

Boyce D. Evans

Lately I have been feeling homesick. After two immersion trips and little time at home I have been missing my family and friends back home in the states. When we left Quito for the coastal port of Manta, I thought it would be another trip to another place and it would still be a while before I got to go home. We met at the airport at 5am. We were all tired  and had to get on a flight that left at 6:30am. When we were preparing to land I looked out my window and saw the Pacific Ocean. That was the first time I had ever seen the Pacific, it was beautiful.

When we arrived in Manta, we landed at this very small airport that was actually a part of a military base shared by the Ecuadorian government and the US. We all pilled into a yellow van and set out for Puerto Lopez, a small sea-side town about one hour and a half south of the city of Manta.  We stopped at several small villages along the way and saw the locals and the crafts that were made especially there. When we finally arrived in Puerto Lopez I was taken aback by the beauty, also by the fact that I only had $5 dollars and there was no bank with an ATM for 70 kilometers. We came to our hotel Hosteria Mandala and it was one of the most beautiful hotels I had ever seen. The rooms had no TV´s, no phones, and no internet. It was very laid back and relaxing, all the stressfulness of Quito just disappeared and there was only the sound of the waves crashing on the beach.

On the second day we went to Isla de la Plata, an island an hour and a half away from Puerto Lopez. We took a small tour boat and as I watched the shore disappear I wondered what we would see when we got there. We arrived at the island which is a national park and took a 2 mile hike across the island. I was a very arduous and long trek across the island, but the views were breathtaking. After a long day of hiking we returned to our boat and went to a cove to have lunch with the boat crew provided for us. It was an unforgettable time watching the multicolored fish swim by.

After returning to Quito for about twelve hours our group met again at the airport very early to travel here to Cuenca. It is a beautiful city, very colonial. I am enjoying my short day here and look forward to going to Guayaquil tomorrow. My host family here is very nice and I miss them very much while I am away.