Wabash Blogs Ecuador Summer Program

« The Best of Everything en el Ecuador | Main | Homesick (Unposted Blog for June 9) »

¡Gracias Ecuador por todo!

Boyce D. Evans

As my time here comes quickly to an end, looking back on everything I have done here in Ecuador, this has been one of the greatest experiences of my life. Getting to know this culture and the people and seeing they things they struggle with everyday has really helped me to grow as a person. In the beginning it was hard, not knowing anyone and being in a strange place. I did not help thinking all the bad things we hear about South America in the US and how dangerous it is. After being here for almost 4 weeks and seeing these people in their everyday lives, I have come to appreciate their cultures and traditions.

With Ecuador competing in the world cup, it is exciting everyday just being here. Seeing the passion these people have for their team and the country. Watching the game yesterday with my 85 year old grandmother and watching here jump up and down as Ecuador scored a goal was amazing.  Hearing the entire city yell in celebration as the scored their goals was amazing. The passion that lives here drives these people everyday, I have never seen anything like it.

As I began to pack some of my clothes this morning I realized that I would be leaving soon and may not get to come back. My host family has helped me so much here. They have made me a part of their family and that is something I can never forget. My time in Ecuador may be drawing to a close, but my memories of this beautiful place will stay with me always and when I return to the States I will be tuned into the Ecuador vs Germany match, rooting for Ecuador until the end.

¡Gracias Ecuador por todo!

¡Sí Se Puede!