Wabash Blogs Immersion 2008: Dickens, Hardy & London

« The Prime Minister and Thanksgiving Dinner | Main | I Promise Myself to Return to London »

Seeing More of Central London

Michael Wartman '09 - This week has definitely lived up to the massive expectatoins I had developed over the course of the semester. 

Dr. Herzog's tours, while conducted at a frantic pace in order to allow us to see as much as possible, have exposed me to parts of London that the average tourist on holiday completely misses. Take the time to read my classmates' blogs to learn more about the places we have visited. Today we spent time walking to the Swiss Re building, Lloyds of London, and the London City Council building. All three are examples of the amazing work that contemporary architects are doing in London. While I came expecting to be awed by the buildings of the past, I left wit a deep understanding of the role London plays in the contemporary world of architecture.

The contemporary was also the focus of my afternoon spent in the Tate Modern, London's beautiful museum of modern art. The works of art ranged from the beautfiul to the shocking to the thought provoking. My favorite pieces in the museum were the Henri Matisse paintings. It was unbelievable that such a gorgeous museum was available to the public for free. It was a great way to spend our final day and a great end to the trip.