Wabash Blogs Daniel King '10

« Plans for the Fall | Main | One of those things... »

Awards Chapel

Last night was Awards Chapel, and I got 2 honors. The first was the Distinguished Senior in Psychology award. It's given out to only one senior psych major a year. They've given out this award for the past 23 years, and I am the 24th recipient. The award is meant to recognize an outstanding student's accomplishments in scholarship, research, and service. Even more, when Dr. Bost presented the award to me, he said I was the hardest working student he had ever had. What an honor! I felt deeply honored by his kind words; Dr. Bost doesn't say things he doesn't mean. This was really a highlight of my year.

Next, I was elected to join Phi Beta Kappa. Phi Beta Kappa, the nation's oldest academic honor society, celebrates and advocates excellence in the liberal arts and sciences. Its campus chapters invite for induction the most outstanding arts and sciences students at America’s leading colleges and universities. The Society sponsors activities to advance these studies — the humanities, the social sciences, and the natural sciences — in higher education and in society at large. This is a huge honor! Phi Beta Kappa has been one of my secret goals since freshmen year. I've always wanted to be a member. I think they only elect people in the top 1/8 of their graduating class. This is so cool.

I'm glad  my work paid off.