Wabash Blogs Daniel King '10

« Interlaken | Main | The Wabash Transitional Period »

Coming Home

Well, I've been back in America for about 3 weeks now, and I'm still transitioning back to life here. For the first week, my sleeping patterns were slightly off. I would fall asleep about 8 p.m. and I would wake up about 4 a.m. I felt so strange. Honestly, I could not remain awake a minute past 8, and I was consistently waking up at 4. Of course, no one in my home was awake that early in the morning. Even on Facebook, all of my friends were sound asleep in their beds.

It wasn't until New Years that I managed to stay awake until midnight. This year, I traveled to Nashville and saw Ian Starnes, a sophomore here at Wabash. Originally, he lived in Florida, but this Christmas his family moved to Nashville. I was excited because I finally had another Beta who lives in Tennessee. Now, I have an excuse to go to Nashville and hang out. Our countdown to midnight was at a local jazz bar. We welcomed in the New Year swapping stories from last semester with a live band in the background. Ian was the first guy from Wabash I saw since I made my return to America. He told about all the adventures of various Betas this past semester. He was also extremely interested to hear about my time abroad.

Soon after Nashville, I had to pack my bags and return to Indiana. This past Sunday, I made my return to campus. It was weird seeing Wabash again; as I sit here writing, I cant really describe the sensation. It was kinda like last semester was a really vivid dream, and, when I saw the Wabash sign, I was finally waking up. Once I moved in all my stuff, I went to Indy for a couple of days to see Brad. As usual, we watched a movie, insulted each other, and ate some good food.... just like back in Italy.

Now, I'm back at Beta, and I have been catching up with most of the seniors that are here studying for comps. Every now and again, underclassmen will pop up, and we laugh about everything I missed this past semester.  I'm saving all my stories until everyone finally gets here. I don't want to talk about OctoberFest forty different times.