Physics, Gravity, and the Little Things

Hey friends!

This is it. This is the start of a new era in blogging. For real this time. I mean it. I promise that if I don’t write a blog on Thursday, and then again on Sunday, and then again next Tuesday, I will write the word “LIAR” with Sharpie on my face. #SharpieChallenge2014

Anyways, as most of you know, yesterday was Monday. Monday is a rough day to start every week with, but it’s a necessary evil. Mondays for me mean an 8:00AM alarm, a Chinese quiz, and Physics class. Being a Div-3 major, I tend to stay as far away from Physics as I possibly can. Numbers and equations tend to give me indigestion, and I like physics the way I like my Crawfordsville townies – like, I know they’re there, but I don’t try to understand them. However, like townies, physics often comes into your life whether you want it to or not.

Enter Monday morning. The ice and freezing rain of the past week, topped with the impending winter storm, has left Crawfordsville a frozen, icy wasteland. As I was walking to class a little before 9:00AM, decked out in full Rhynie attire, (orange construction vest, shoes with jingle bells, sandwich board…aka “fashion forward”), I came across a rather icy patch of brick path. I even stopped and thought to myself, “gee, Nathan. Better be careful, you don’t want to –”

AND THEN, PHYSICS

Accurate portrayal of my dignity.

Newton’s First Law of Motion tells us that without external forces like friction stopping them, objects in motion tend to stay in motion due to this weird thing called inertia. Well folks, let me tell you, my feet were objects in motion, and with no friction on the ice to slow them down, they inertia-ed right out from under me. In a whirling mass of sandwich board, jingling bells, and profanities, the downward pull of gravity kicked in, and I bit it hard (falling at about 9.8 m/s2) in front of students, squirrels, and Wabash’s almighty founders looking down from above.

Greetings from the 2014 Spring Semester Rhynies!

And all I could do was laugh, because there are few things more ridiculous than watching a kid wearing a sandwich board fall down. In all honesty, it was a highlight of my day. If I’d had any dignity to start with, it would have been the only injured part of me, and the slip was a fairly humorous way to start my day. It helps to find enjoyment in the annoyances, Wallies. You’ll be better for it.

Have a good week, fellas.