The Final Weekend

Whoa. It’s here my friends. The very last weekend of my freshman year has finally arrived. You want to talk about time travel? Well, that’s how I feel right now. Although, I have to admit, a lot of things have changed about me this year. I’ll list just a few.

First, I’ve changed my style of thought. I’ve always questioned things, but now I’m even less afraid of not towing the party line. I now know how to form an effective argument in the Western linear style of debate and narrowly focus my thought. I now know when to be the sledgehammer and when to be the scalpel. I still suck at picking my battles, and I still am much too worried about my principles, but I now know how to defend them accurately and actually express my argument eloquently and leave no loose ends.

Secondly, I have become a bit of a firebrand. I love playing Devil’s advocate in conversations. I love taking the exact opposite side and then finally making people see the one-sidedness of what they are saying. I don’t necessarily enjoy making people angry, but I believe it is important to occasionally slap people to wake them up. I now know how to pick the alternate route in conversations and present it in a way that both provokes new discussion, and excites new avenues of thought in others.

Finally, I have grown as a person. I have actually had my mind grow a lot. I have learned to appreciate many new aspects of intellectual pursuits. I have grown from being black and white on everything to truly living and breathing in the grey area. I question everything and in so doing, I strengthen my faith in everything that I believe. I have developed an increased hunger for answers far and above the massive hunger for answers and knowledge that I already had.

Well, as you all can see, I have grown. I am sure that you have all changed as well over the course of this year. However, not much change can occur without sleep. So, I am off to bed. Goodnight, my friends. Have a great weekend. We shall talk later. In the meantime, enjoy every sandwich.