Jitney Closing

Tonight I would have been competing at the Rose-Hulman Twilight Invitational, but due to family matters, I made the trip back home to Muncie. In the meantime, I had only sympathy for fellow track athletes who had to compete in strong winds and freezing temperatures.

While I cannot speak to the experiences of my teammates, I can talk about Jitney, the school play I saw last night. After watching the two previous plays this year, “Picasso at the Lapin Agile” and “Take Me Out,” I am continually struck by the incredible acting quality of men at Wabash.

The cast of Jitney bow at the conclusion of the play

Jitney was not a disappointment, and I loved Tyler Griffin’s performance as Turnbo, a gossiping, busybody whose antics throughout the play keeps you laughing. The crux of the play turns around the potential closing of the jitney/car service operation ran from a shambled tenement square building. Fellow Martindale member A.J. Clark plays the son of the leading character, Becker, who runs the car service operation.

What struck me most about the play was the deep sentiment of the cast to escape the bonds of a full work schedule in order to live a decent, happy life. At this point I must clarify that in no way am I alluding to a Wabash education. In fact, exemplified in this play is the honor of working hard to earn the respect of one’s family and friends.

While I can only describe the play in brief, I suggest you make every opportunity to see it if you have the chance. In the meantime, try to stay warm until the weather realizes it is spring!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.