Critical Moments

Dr. Horton’s chapel talk titled “Happy Enough and Getting Better” was reminiscent of one of my earlier blogs entitled “Still Learning.”

Ryan Horner and Billy McManus led discussion on “The Great Gatsby”

Dr. Horton’s viewpoint was from a distinctly parental perspective as he discussed the “critical moments” he encounters. As a parent he must assist his kids to walk the ten steps from the doorstep to the family mini-van in order to arrive to school on time. It is these critical moments and his reaction to them that shapes who he is as a person, and in the same way, my blog post reflects my first critical moments adjusting to life at this small, liberal arts school.

But this has been a journey that has been more than worth the challenges and impediments along the way. Dr. Horton will be the first to tell you that raising a children, especially three, is not easy. What he has learned is that how he is feeling at any particular time should not indicate how he is doing. Too often society rates accomplishment by how a person feels, which makes the mistake of devaluing challenges, such as attending Wabash, that will bring about future enjoyment and happiness. This journey of having children has been an interesting one for Dr. Horton, one in which has taught him to think critically and rely on others to accomplish his goals.

From red to blue, what color is next?

This is a particular skill that Wabash has developed in me, and none too slowly! Asking questions is as critical as receiving answers, and the journey is as important as the destination. This is why when I consider the events just today: work in the athletic office, chapel talk, class, track practice, meeting, hanging out late at night to discuss The Great Gatsby, and finishing The Watchmen for tutorial, I have to remind myself that these are my critical moments. The decisions I make now are only a prototype of similar, tougher decisions yet to come. And I hope with perseverance, and more than a little help, I will continue to be “happy enough and getting better.”

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.