Remember That One Time I Went to College?

Howdy y’all.

With only a few weeks left in the semester, it’s time to start thinking of summer plans and life after freshman year. There are a lot of things one can do to waste time, but there are also lots of productive ways one can do so and get paid for it too. As for me, I applied for a summer job back home.

Last weekend started off with a trip back up to Chicago so that I could be interviewed for a lifeguarding position.  This interview came at a perfect time (sarcasm) because only a few days before I began the process of dreading my hair, which looks a bit unprofessional at this stage.  I made it there just in the nick of time, my interview went quite swell, and my interviewer never even mentioned my hair.  Score.

On a related note, my parents are not fans of my new hair.

In spite of their displeasure, it was a nice couple of days spent with my family and my friends back home.  It made me even more anxious for these next few weeks to pass by so I can return to the southside for a summer of merriment and fun in the Sun.  While I’m eager to return home, at the same time I don’t want this semester to end.  My first year of college: has it really gone by so fast?  Have I matured at all or become any better of a person?  I’d like to take this time to reflect on just a few changes I’ve undergone since coming to Wabash.

One of the most profound changes that has altered my daily life and that will affect me for as long as I live is my choice to live a vegan lifestyle.  I feel like I have a new purpose in life.  Chances are that this change would have never occurred had I not come to Wabash and focused inward to examine the person I am, the person I want to become, and how that person can make this world a better place.

Secondly, I’ve gained more of an appreciation for my creative side.  I’m not speaking about every student at Wabash, but in general there seems to be a shortage of recognition of the artistic spark here due to the high population of science/math/pre-law and athletic type dudes.  That’s not necessarily all bad because, without tooting my own horn, it makes me feel more spaycial.  *Toot-toot*

One obvious change is my physical appearance.  Ask my parents.

The last change I’m gonna talk about relates to how I feel towards my brothers here at Kappa Sig.  Great things have happened this year.  Through the changes I’ve listed here and the innumerable ones I could never fit in a blog, my bros have been here through it all, especially my pledge brothers.  As I’ve changed and my thinking has evolved, so has theirs and in a way, we’ve all taken pieces of each other away and forever will be a part of one another.  That is something I’ll never forget.

This is no time to get nostalgic though; it’s time to buckle down and finish the semester like a man.

Grrrrrr,

Joey

About Joey

My name is Joseph Edward Weisenritter. I'm from the southside of Chicago, I have two sisters, two dogs, and two loving parents. If you asked me to describe myself I'd say "music". I like birds. Also, I like to write.