F is for . . .

I predicted it would happen, but watching it happen is a completely different story. I kept telling myself IU was going to make a run and tie the score. So did Adam and Jordan, fellow track runners and Martindale Hall floor mates who watched the game with me. Today the setback to completing homework wasn’t a “broken” internet, but watching college basketball.

“Gooo to Chaapelll”-Rhines yelling outside Chapel today

Today was an absolutely beautiful day, I could almost hear the snow yelling that spring was in the air. I thought about this on my way to chapel talk given by Dr. Freeze, who titled his talk “Why I Love the F-Word.” No, not that f-word, but it was fun to make a guess at it. I thought the word was “fiction” since Dr. Freeze is known for his creative writing classes. Another guess was freedom, but in fact, the word was feminism. The point of discussion highlighted the importance of being conscious of what women think by looking beyond the stereotype of women classified as feminists.

It is important that women and feminists alike refute stereotypes from outlets such as social media that strive to promote women for their bodies rather than their character. I thought this lesson was particularly timely in light of the second talk I attended by David Shane ’70. Shane spoke about being “other-directed” and focusing one’s life on service. Just like stereotyping prevents true relationships, Shane warned against the danger of being so obsessed with oneself that you are unable to meet people at their needs.

Shane also spoke about being willing to take detours in life to find one’s road. For Shane, it was a roundabout path that finally led him to law school at Duke. Part of his walk involved another f-word, faith. It was the belief that no matter how many wrong turns he made, he would get where he was meant to go. When someone asks me what I want to do, I usually have a good idea. When I begin to doubt is when keeping the faith becomes essential. Faith is a constant anchor so that even if Butler doesn’t make the Sweet Sixteen or I miss out on a cool internship and fall short in the classroom, I can have faith that one way or another, I will fulfill my goals.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.