“Rate of Appreciation”

Hello my friends! I don’t wish to be a downer, but I have noticed a strange occurrence upon campus recently that needs to have some light shed on it. It has to do with a concept I like to call “rate of appreciation”. I don’t mean it in an economic sense, but rather the amount of appreciation for being at Wabash.

It seems to me that there are some students here who take their opportunities and education here for granted. These students are both well-off, as well as not so well-off. I am not trying to make some statement about money or affluence leading to taking things for granted, but merely that I have noticed things that I do not particularly enjoy on campus.

First of all, there are some students here who I know are not doing their best. They got in here and are either of the “I am here, that is all that matters” viewpoint, or the “Why should I try? I could go anywhere and do anything because I have the resources and I am entitled” attitude. Each of these drives me insane. My fellow students, we are here to learn, Take this opportunity seriously. Don’t waste it. We only have one shot.

Also, don’t believe that you are entitled to anything. That is a handicap I see a lot in people of all stripes. All it does is make you look like a snob, and completely rob you of any chance to learn or take advantage of opportunities provided to you. Once you stop striving and believe that everything should be yours, you lose it all. Once you say to yourself that you deserve to have the world handed to you because you are better prepared, supported, or above others, you block yourself off of all opportunity to learn.

Finally, this is not high-school. You cannot skate by. You are equal to everyone else. There is nothing here that makes you any better than anybody else and there is nothing that entitles you to different treatment. Everybody works hard to get here, stay here, and thrive here. It is your duty to do the same. No one is given preferential treatment, and everyone has to work. Never expect any different.

Well my friends, I must be off to bed. I hope that this message makes sense to people. I don’t mean to rant, but this viewpoint disgusts me immensely. Take care my friends. Have a great evening. I shall talk to you again soon. In the meantime, enjoy every sandwich.