A Dissertation on Why the Fraternity System Is Pretty Badass

PART 2

Sup readers. So in my last post I described the initial chaos of the internship process, and the critical importance of getting into Career Services and actually STARTING the process. Getting a head start when I did was essential, seeing as the deadline for the application was a mere 4 days later. Though I did work hard on my resume and cover letter over the following days, I certainly didn’t do it all on my own. Enter Phi Delta Theta.

When any fraternity rushes a potential new member, one of the biggest benefits to stress is the amount of professional connection one gains by entering a fraternity. Oftentimes, this is overlooked, especially in comparison to the allure of the bond a brother develops with his own brothers, and the party atmosphere of many fraternities. But in applying for this internship, I was dramatically exposed to how many helpful connections I’ve made.

For starters, a senior brother of mine, Carl Rivera, actually worked in the same internship last year that I am applying for now. Oh, wait, hold on, not only was Carl a part of the company last summer, but he is returning this summer to work as well, and is assisting with the hiring process. Carl’s integrity (as a quality human being) keeps our connection through Phi Delt from creating a strong bias in the hiring process, but there is certainly something to be said about having such a close link with a company I’d like to work for. This is something that Wabash stresses from day one. CONNECTIONS, CONNECTIONS, CONNECTIONS. By living with me at Phi Delt, Carl has a very accurate idea about the kind of student and brother I am, and can better assess what kind of employee I might be. Whether this hurts or helps my application…well, that’s up to Carl!

Once I began working on my resume and cover letter, I realized that the more people I had look over my work, and the more experience those people had, the better. I started off with seniors within my house, like JJ Peller, who had had previous experience in successfully writing up resumes and cover letters, and earning internship spots. JJ even sent me his own resume, which was incredibly helpful in giving me an idea of how to form my own.

Finally, I stumbled upon a gold mine when I asked two visiting alumni, Hugh Vandivier and Jim Dyer, to give my work a look. The help that they offered, from major suggestions to the tweaking of small details, was immensely helpful in creating a professional, polished final product.

About two days after I submitted my application, I was invited back for an interview, so all of the hard work and help paid off. All of this assistance and support came through Phi Delta Theta. Turns out, fraternities are actually more than parties. Who knew? Next post, in Part 3 of “Bode’s Internship Tips,” I’ll let you know a little about some interview hints.

Til next time, Wallies.

WAF