Too Close for Comfort

I intend for this blog to be short and sweet to merely recount the horrible atrocity that almost took place yesterday evening.

As I’ve written in earlier blogs, I’m taking Intro to 3-D Design this semester—my first art class ever, let alone studio art.  As a part of our latest project we were required to cut up cardboard and use hot glue to form it into some kind of “battle mask” to fit on a cow skull.  If we were cutting several pieces that we wanted to be uniform or needed to cut through several layers of cardboard at once we were, after a safety lesson and with the safety mask, permitted to use the band saws in the studio.

Long story short, I was in the studio last night trying to finish up on my project and using the band saw, for its proper purpose and with no foul play at all, mind you.  For those of you who don’t know about band saws, they operate by rotating a continuous toothed band (the blade) around two wheels in an uninterrupted motion.  All of a sudden, with my fingers within an inch of the razor-sharp blade, it decided to break, sending the blade jutting out towards the side, narrowly missing my fingers and leaving only minor cuts.

In that moment my life flashed before my eyes.  My music career: gone.  My ability to whistle with my fingers: gone.  Playing catch with my future son: not gonna happen.  Rock, paper, scissors?  Hope you like rock.

Moral of the story, kids: before using power tools cross your fingers for good luck, you may not be able to afterwards.

Joey

About Joey

My name is Joseph Edward Weisenritter. I'm from the southside of Chicago, I have two sisters, two dogs, and two loving parents. If you asked me to describe myself I'd say "music". I like birds. Also, I like to write.