Intro to England

Long time no blog.  I gotta say, now that I am back in good ole Murica, I’ll never take free (or even cheap) wifi for granted again.

So for those of you who don’t know, I had the incredible opportunity to visit England over my Thanksgiving break, hence the lack of blogging.  However, now that I am back in the States and back on campus, I intend to fill in a few of the gaps I left in my virtual life while away through a few brief installment of some of my experiences while in the United Kingdom.

Food

One thing people always talk about when they visit a place is the food there.  Every time we’d go to a pub for lunch or dinner, the menu was always a point of cultural interest.

*A quick note on being vegan in England*

It wasn’t too hard finding edible food while abroad; most restaurants even labeled which dishes were vegetarian.  Nevertheless, some of those plates still included things like cheese or butter, so more than once I was left eating chips, chips, and more chips (which are what we in America would call thick french fries, by the way).

Fish and Chips

Almost every place we went had one form of fish and chips or another.  We even went to places where that was all they served.  These were a favorite of our group and were enjoyed on several occasions, sometimes multiple times in a day.

Bangers and Mash.  Also known as sausage and mashed potatoes.  This was on the menu at a bunch of places we went to, although I never got it myself.

A picture my friend took of his Thanksgiving dinner.

Another popular food there is pies.  Usually, when we think of pie, we think of sweet, dessert-like pastries with fillings of fruit or sweet cream.  Not in England.  There, the pies aren’t dessert, but a part of one’s meal.  They were usually filled with cow, lamb, or other animal flesh.

A few other foods people commonly ate there were potato jackets (baked potatoes with a side), spotted dick (which I believe was some sort of pudding with dried fruit) and for breakfast, there was always baked beans.

More to come on other aspects of life in England soon!

Until then,

Joey

About Joey

My name is Joseph Edward Weisenritter. I'm from the southside of Chicago, I have two sisters, two dogs, and two loving parents. If you asked me to describe myself I'd say "music". I like birds. Also, I like to write.