Wabash: Aqui no hay ninguna chica

Happy Thanksgiving Wallies! I hope you’re enjoying your break as much as I am! I have a lot to be thankful for, because I am proud to let my readers know that I am now a proud part of Phi Delta Theta! The hard work has paid off, gentlemen, and I have a feeling that it’s going to be entirely worth it. If you’re interested in rushing a fraternity in the spring, come hang out with me and my pledge brothers at Phi Delt! We’ll be glad to answer any questions or concerns you might have about living in a fraternity. Speaking from experience, it was the best possible choice I could have made for myself, as far as living units go.

So onto my blog. For those of you who are sick of not understanding half of what I write in Spanish, my title means “Wabash: There Are No Girls Here.” SHOCKER, I know. If you’re a student, faculty member, or parent with a son here, I hope this isn’t news for you, or you’re an incredibly oblivious human. Like clockwork, any time I tell someone I go to Wabash College, the immediate follow-up question is “Isn’t that an all-guys school?” YES. YES IT IS. So this subject is one I feel I haven’t covered really well yet, so here’s my thoughts on attending an all-male school.

There’s less drama. This isn’t to say that guys don’t start e-mail wars and bicker about their opinions and hold some grudges. But for the most part, a college of dudes is much

These college girls distracted you already! Focus on the reading, fellas.

more likely to just be chill and relaxed. I’m not entirely sure how St. Mary’s does it. I feel like all girls going to school together would be cat-fight central. The first week was a little weird, but after that it was fairly easy to get used to having class with only guys. To be honest, Wabash’s pitch about how it’s much easier to concentrate in class without girls is true, at least for me. It turns out that all of us guys are about 100% less likely to be cocky jerks without girls around to show off for. So the end result is like 24-hour bro-time.

Unfortunately, 24-hour bro time is a little monotonous. Now, Wabash College is not necessarily a girl-free environment. Interns, the friends your pledge brother’s girlfriend brings with her, some of the 1832 Brew baristas, and even the occasional townie are all constant reminders of the opposite gender, not to mention the female faculty. However, there’s something to be said for the fun of hanging out with girls at school. Wabash is also not the prime environment if you’re looking for a relationship with a girl. Unless you get lucky, you’ve usually got to head to another campus to pick up a cute lady.

On a final note, it’d be fun to have girls athletic teams to pair with our teams. It’s always a little depressing to see all of the girls cross country teams hanging out with the guys team after a meet.

However, this brings me back to the concept that if you’re serious about your education and athletics free from distraction, Wabash is a great place to be. It takes some getting used to, but in the end I don’t think I could be at a better school.

Enjoy the rest of your break, Wallies!