The Loss of a Friend

We all know that death is a part of life.  No matter your religious our philosophical leaning, we all die.  I had been fortunate enough to never experience the death of someone close to me.  In my early teens, my great-grandmother died, but I was not very close to her.  Aside from that instance, I had never experienced the pangs of sadness associated with death, until the recent passing of my friend Aronno Haque ’14.

I am not going to pretend that Aronno and I were the best of friends.  I am not one of those who participates in the “I knew the deceased person better than you, so I am in more pain” pissing contest.  I knew Aronno as an acquaintance.  We lived in the same building, we shared our mealtimes together in Sparks, and we swapped pleasantries on the mall.  We had things in common.  Our advocacy for LGBTQ rights was one of those things, and the catalyst for our meeting.  I met Aronno for the first time at a ‘shOUT meeting during the second semester of my freshman year, about two years ago.  We were friendly towards each other and that is all that matters.  Aronno Haque was a good guy and, I’m sure, an even better friend.

Death is never pleasant, but the death of someone so young, with so much time left to make a difference, is even more saddening.  Right now, the only thing that we can do is be there for each other to offer a shoulder to lean on.

Rest In Peace, Aronno Haque.  You were Some Little Giant.